Tuesday, October 30, 2007

say hola to sopes!


This is at least partly what I envisioned when pondering our state st adventure: La Taqueria. A little mexican hole in the wall, just a bit off the beaten path. And I guess when I say a bit, I mean about a quarter of a block. Somewhere we wouldn't have likely visited in our normal lunch rotation. That said, it must have a state street address, so here we come.

I am pretty well up for new food, but wow, when you get there and the menu is mostly in spanish (what the heck is an asada?) and you aren't real sure what a huaraches is, well, I get a little nervous. It is also kind of funny, because it looks like huaraches are sandals or something, so I guess it is good that I didn't go out on too much of a limb. I was going to try the gorditas, cause hey, if this place is gonna rip off taco bell, it is worth a shot; but the cashier said that they took too long to cook, so they weren't available. And yet, on the menu.

The fish for the fish tacos was frozen a bit too much, so also not available. I ended up trying at least something new, which was a chicken sopes. Kind of like a tostada and pretty yummy. I thought it was going to be like a sopapilla, but figured you wouldn't really have that with chicken.

A little while ago I started working for the church. One day, while eating at the cafeteria, a guy said something like "that oriental bar sign is missing an f." For whatever reason, it stuck with me, and signs as above will likely never be the same for me.

Those two missionary-looking folks are Cameron and Drew. Hola Cameron!

The sandwich maker was broken! Ha! Cause the sandwich maker was actually a person! Ha again!

No comments: